Saturday, June 15, 2013

Art Break Day by Art is Moving

Magical Moments & Memories


As this year's Art Break Day fundraiser enters its final week we would like to take the opportunity to share some of our favorite moments and memories. 




Because there are a zillion magical and treasured moments created each ART Break Day it's really hard to pin one down as a favorite. I am so grateful to be part of such an empowering and altruistic movement.

ART truly does transform.


One aspect I love is the diversity of spirits the saddle up to our free art making tables. Literally, people of all ages who come from all walks of life sit down together and connect through the creative process of making ART together. For me, as a witness, participant, and facilitator this is the real magic that Art Break Day brings to each community. People who would otherwise never even look or smile at each other on the street actually sit down together, talk about art, and connect. I love when I see a grandmother sitting next to a homeless person, who sits next to hipster, who is sitting next to a lawyer, who is sitting next to a toddler, who is sitting next to a police officer, who is sitting next to a street urchin...the list goes on and on.



The consistent reality of Art Break Day is that when people sit down and create together all boundaries dissolve. You can feel the peace between people as they get to just be for a moment in time. This, to me, is the bliss of ART Break Day and one of the core reasons I do this with my heART and soul. Giving people the opportunity to embrace and be empowered by their own freedom of expression is my service as an artist to the world.



Join us at one of our 14 sites and taste the experience for yourself.  It is palpable!



Namaste, 

-Lisa Rasmussen (Co-Founding Director of Art is Moving) 


**************

There's still time to fund this year's Art Break Day and create a positive impact in 14 locations across the world!


Contribute today by visiting our campaign page here:http://igg.me/at/artbreakday

And, please share our campaign -http://igg.me/at/artbreakday - via email, facebook, and twitter

Thank you for supporting our grand vision to make art accessible to absolutely everyone!
*************

My Five Favorite Things about Art Break Day

List compiled by Lauren Odell Usher (Co-Founding Director of Art is Moving)


1. Connecting communities through art. For the last 2 years I have been co-leading the San Francisco Art Site with Lisa.  Not only do I watch strangers become friends across our art site tables, but I get updates through out the day from all of our other sites.  I love the feeling that on Art Break Day communities across the globe come together to stand up for art.  To show the world that art creates a positive impact in individuals and communities and should be a part of every person's life.



2. Art is for Everyone. At the same table, at the same time, we get to watch people from all generations create art.  From baby boomers to gen Yers, all are welcome to take an art break with us. What's really great is when an entire family sits down, takes a break, and makes art together.


a mother makes art with her two kids


3. The No-Judgement Zone. A woman wandered over and asked what we were doing.  When she found out we were letting people make art for free she got a bit shy and began judging herself saying, "Oh, I can't do that, I'm no good at art." After a bit of encouragement and one of Lisa's Kitty Bliss drawings as inspiration, this wonderful woman created her own version of a cat drawing.  It is one of my favorite pieces of art we collected.  She stood proudly by it as we photographed her and walked a little bit taller as she waved good-bye.



4. Everyone needs an art break. We hope that one day an "art break" will be just as common as a coffee break. I love when I see folks taking a break from work to sit down at our art tables.  We've had police officers, food industry workers, accountants, and more join us for an art break. It's so fun to watch what making art in the middle of their day does to their mood.



5. Art can be anything.  My mom volunteers and helps during Art Break Day each year.  Last year I overheard her say to someone, "Give it a try, art can be anything." And, it can.  We've had someone sit down and paint his skateboard and another someone take liberties with our Art Break Day banner.  I love watching the creativity unfold at our art tables.


art rules

****
Copyright © 2013 Art is Moving, All rights reserved. 
Our mailing address is: 
Art is Moving
630 58th Street
Oakland, CA 94609


I encourage anyone to support this great project and perhaps use it to inspire your own community work. -Sonia

1 comment: